Application deadline for articles will be: TBA
Our objective is to hire articling students who have the potential to become our associates and eventually our partners. We look for students who have the academic ability and personality to acquire the knowledge, skill and experience required to provide reliable advice and effective representation to our clients.
While serving their articles of clerkship, our students have opportunities to learn by:
- Doing a wide variety of work at all stages of litigation including legal research, and drafting of affidavits of records, pleadings, notices of motion and affidavits in support, and written submissions
- Making applications in chambers in civil actions
- Appearing in docket court on criminal matters
- Attending with our lawyers during interviews of clients and witnesses, and at motions, examinations for discovery and trials in the Court of Queen’s Bench, and appeals in the Court of Appeal
- Attending with our lawyers at negotiations, mediations and judicial dispute resolution conferences in civil actions
- Conducting trials in the Provincial Court on small claims and summary conviction matters
- Representing clients in matters involving real estate, corporations, commercial transactions, wills and estates, under the supervision of our lawyers
The assignment of work to our students is coordinated by their principal who has the responsibility of ensuring that they have the opportunity for progressive development of their legal knowledge and skills by working with our lawyers in all areas of our practice.
We encourage our students to maximize the opportunity they have to gain legal knowledge and skills through the CPLED program. They also have the opportunity to learn through advocacy and practice seminars at our firm.
We strive to create a collaborative environment that allows our students and associates to acquire the knowledge and skill to practice effectively while enjoying their personal lives.
- Please contact David deVere for further information regarding articling with the Law Firm of Weir Bowen LLP.